Check out my new website.
The following excerpts from the introductory post on this blog explain the benefits of writing repair (turning bad writing into good writing) and describe the services I provide.
I am offering a new and different way of dealing with the problem of bad writing. Most companies have never considered using an outside party as a continuing resource for employees who need help with writing. But I believe it is the best way to get immediate and significant improvement. I provide a cost-effective solution that can eliminate the problem from the very first day.
My years of experience have taught me that every company has some employees who need a “writing repair service.” When companies acknowledge the problem, and decide to do something about it, I can save them lots of time, trouble, and money.
Here’s what I do:
- I correct obvious mistakes;
- I identify and clarify passages that could be misunderstood;
- I organize the information so that it flows logically from one idea to the next; and
- I make the entire piece effective enough to achieve the desired result.
I can work from completed drafts; I can help during the formulation process; or, if someone has an idea but just doesn’t know how to get it down on paper, I can do the writing from scratch.
I’m not a teacher. I don’t do training sessions, seminars, or writing workshops. I think the impact of these is very limited. My personal opinion is that past a certain point, it’s just too late. My goal is not to turn people into good writers; my goal is to make their writing good.
I work directly with individual employees, perfecting their actual business correspondence and documents. People are usually aware of their own limitations, and welcome my support.
Many executives acknowledge that the problem exists, but believe they already have an adequate way of dealing with it. Perhaps employees who are better writers are asked to assist those who need help. Perhaps supervisors make corrections before written work goes out. But these measures are hit or miss.
My way is better – here’s why. If I am available as a resource:
- The problem is handled on a consistent, company-wide basis.
- Employees who are good writers can focus on their own work.
- Supervisors and managers can address their attention to the strategy or completeness of a piece, and not on the writing itself.
- Pieces that have solid thinking behind them can be ready to go on the first shot, reducing the need for rewrites.
- Employees are much more likely to ask for input because they know that the company has provided a dedicated consultant to support their writing. This is especially important for those who aren’t expected to check their work with higher management.
Because of my help:
- Distracting grammatical errors are eliminated, allowing the reader to focus on the intended message.
- Employees no longer send out poorly written letters that challenge the reader to figure out what is being said.
- The company image is no longer undermined by correspondence that is in direct conflict with the promise to provide the highest quality products and services.
- Poor expression of ideas, capable of causing damaging misunderstandings, is identified and corrected before it can cause conflicts – or worse, lawsuits.
- Writing takes fewer hours out of the workday, because it is no longer a struggle.
- Employees become more confident about their ability to do a good job, because they are supported in their efforts to communicate their best ideas to full advantage.
If you would like information about obtaining my services for your company, you can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to use the phrase “Writing Repair” in the subject line.